Cartel Land

I chose the documentary 'Cartel Land'. It examines the state of the ongoing drug problem along the U.S-Mexican border.

1. The scene which moved me the most was right at the beginning where a woman shared the story of what happened to her and her family. The whole family worked at a lime farm. The owner was forced to pay money to the cartel. Because he was not able to pay the money the cartel killed 14 members of her family including her husband and her underaged kids. The feeling i felt were mixed up. On the one hand, I felt pure anger because she explained that they took babies by their feet and hit them against the wall until they died. On the other hand, I was shocked and felt terrible. I can not even imagine that one single person gets killed on purpose. Now if I think of the situation that, for no reason, fourteen people of my family get killed due to unpaid bills I am lost for words.

2. Coming from Germany, I only know drug wars from films. When I watched them, I always knew most of the scenes and stories were made up and not real. After Cartel Wars, I changed my mind. It surprised me that there are still heavy problems with drug wars and cartels. Also, I am surprised by the way the cartel works. If the execute something, they do it in such a cruel way that I did not know it exists on earth.

3. I definitely ask myself many questions after watching the documentary. I ask myself how it is possible to have this kind of problems being next to the probably most developed country in the world. I also ask myself how the cartels were able to get into the government. Was the government corrupt or did they threaten them.

- autodefensas: illegal or legal
- good vs evil
- immigration
- drug wars
- government - corrupt ?

Kommentare

  1. Timm, I like the rustic style of your blog in general. Specifically to your latest blog post, I think you did a very good job with expressing the emotions you felt while watching cartel land. Your problematic concepts are ell chosen but keep in mind that there are much more problems in the world from which we most likely don't know, so alwawys keep on informing yourself!

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

DACA

The Beginning Of Something New